Looking after the poor
The Local Board of Health
were partly responsible
for keeping law and order in Croydon.
The job of looking after the poor
fell to the Croydon Union
which was established in 1836.
They operated the Poor Law
and the workhouses.
People would be given a bed and food
in return for hard work.
Croydon's first workhouse
was built in Duppas Hill in the 1720s.
In 1865, it was replaced by a new one
at Queens Road, Thornton Heath.