"Museum in Croydon" Poster
A poster used to publicise the exhibition "Museum in Croydon - Do You Care?", mounted by the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society at Fairfield Halls in 1981. The Society has been campaigning and collecting for a local museum since it began in 1870. The Council did open a small museum in Grange Wood Park, Thornton Heath in 1903, but it closed down in 1939 and the collections were scattered. When the centre of Croydon was redeveloped in the 1960s, local people took a renewed interest in their heritage. In the 1970s, membership of CNHSS peaked at almost 1000 and the campaign for a museum began again. The 1981 exhibition showed that there was plenty of material available for a Croydon museum. As a result, the provision of a museum finally became official Council policy. In 1995, the Lifetimes exhibition, the Riesco Gallery of Chinese pottery and the Exhibition Gallery opened to the public - after over 120 years of campaigning.
Museum of Croydon | Area 6 | Kiosk 4
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service