[ARRAY:1]
Title
 
Coronation Bell
Description
 
This brass bell was given to the Croydon Habitation (branch) of the Primose League by Mary E. Johnston in 1953, to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II's coronation. It was cast by Gillett and Johnston, bellfounders and clockmakers of Union Road, West Croydon. The Primrose League was founded in 1883 to promote Tory principles. It was named after the favourite flower of Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli who had died two years previously.
Object Name
 
bell
Date
 
1953
Physical Description
 
Miniature copper alloy bell with engraved inscriptions.
Material
 
Copper alloy
Measurements
 
whole: 75 x 61 x 61 mm
Maker
 
Gillett and Johnston
Theme
 
National & International | Politics & Economy
Location
 
Museum of Croydon | Area 4 | Kiosk 4
Type
 
MUSEUM OBJECTS
Level
 
Item
Repository
 
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service