Mission of Hope Collecting Box and Badge
The Mission of Hope was set up by the Wallis family in Walthamstow in 1893 and in 1906 opened Birdhurst Lodge in South Croydon. The aim was to provide a Christian house where unmarried mothers could give birth to their babies, at a time when it was socially unacceptable to have an illegitimate child. Some of the mothers kept their children, but most of the children were either adopted or stayed in one of the Mission's children's homes. By the 1950s it ran five nurseries and three homes: Deepdene - for girls, Hurst House - for boys, and Essendene - mixed. The Mission was funded by public donations, hence the collecting box. The badges were worn by staff. In 1992 the Mission finished its adoption work, as there was no longer such a need to provide homes for illegitimate children. It became Christian Family Concern, providing nursery and child care facilities for children and young mothers, in 1989.
Home & Community | Welfare & Community Work
Museum of Croydon | Area 5 | Kiosk 2
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service