The shell was used at St. Andrew's Church, Croydon. It was meant to be used by the vicar to hold the water for baptising people. The Reverend William Evans, Vicar of St. Andrew's from 1922 until 1947, thought it fancy and usually preferred to hold the water in his hand.
whole: 160 x 180 x 150 mm
Life & Love | Religion & Morality
Museum of Croydon | Area 3 | Kiosk 3
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service