[ARRAY:1]
Title
 
Packham & Company Bottled Water
1876-1920
Description
 
Glass bottle which held Packham's mineral water. The Packham and Co Mineral and Distilled Water Manufacturers had a premises in Katharine Street, Croydon from 1876 to 1910. They then moved to Sumner Road, until the Company closed in 1927. They made bottles of this shape between 1876 and 1920.Artificial mineral water was invented by Swiss scientist Jacob Schweppe in the late 18th century. It was meant to imitate natural spa water and was first sold as medicine. But by the 19th century different flavours - ginger, lemon and tonic - were being added to make it more tasty. By 1880 there were four mineral water manufacturers in Croyden.This bottle was found in Mr Wakefield's garden.
Date
 
1876 - 1920
Physical Description
 
Height 245 mm, diameter 72 mm
Material
 
Moulded glass
Theme
 
Home & Community | Personal Hygiene & Public Health
Location
 
Museum of Croydon | Area 2 | Kiosk 1
Keywords
 
Food; Packaging
Type
 
MUSEUM OBJECTS
Level
 
Item
Repository
 
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service