This poster advertises the last two plays performed at the Grand Theatre, High Street, Croydon in April 1959. The Grand opened in 1896 and for many years was highly successful, but by the 1950s its popularity was waning. The Grand Theatre Company was set up in 1958 to attract audiences with popular leading plays. But as office building boomed in central Croydon, the theatre was bought for redevelopment. 100,000 local people signed a petition to save it, but to no avail. At the last performance of 'Dinner with the Family' an announcement was made by the acting theatre manager that the Grand was to close after the show. It was demolished in 1959, and Grosvenor House was built on the site.
Museum of Croydon | Area 4 | Kiosk 1
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service