Seal of the Croydon Local Board of Health
Metal seal of the Croydon Local Board of Health. The seal has the Royal coat of arms on it. The Croydon Board of Health was set up in 1849, following the passing of the Public Health Act of 1848. It was one of the first Boards of Health in England, the forerunner of modern local government. The Board of Health provided Croydon's first piped clean water supply and sewers. It also maintained the roads and public open spaces. In 1883the Croydon Board of Health was replaced by Croydon Corporation, which became the County Borough of Croydon in 1889. The Croydon Local Board of Health came under a General Board of Health which is probably why this seal includes the Royal coat of arms.
Depth 40 mm, diameter 36 mm
Home & Community | Personal Hygiene & Public Health
Museum of Croydon | Area 2 | Kiosk 3
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service