This vase belonged to Doreen Hunt of New Addington in the late 1950s. Yellow, black and red were fashionable colours at the time. Housing was in short supply after the Second World War. Doreen, her husband and two children had shared a house with her parents in Waddon, but on her 21st birthday in 1951 she got the keys to a new council house on King Henry's Drive. The houses at New Addington offered much better facilities than most people were used to, with several bedrooms and inside toilets. And there was space and fresh air. But lack of good public transport meant that New Addington remained rather isolated.
whole: 100 x 220 x 100 mm
Associated Object Number
Home & Community | Natural & Built Environment
Museum of Croydon | Area 4 | Kiosk 1
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service