[ARRAY:2]
Title
 
Trojan mini-motor salesman's kit
Description
 
Trojan Ltd made mini-motors at their factory in Purley Way, Croydon from 1949 until the mid 1950s. These small two-stroke engines were attached to the rear frame of bicycles. They drove the rear wheel by means of a small pulley when the engine was lowered to make contact with the tyre. Powered by petrol, they enabled bicycles to cruise comfortably at 20 miles per hour. Trojan salesmen mostly used the real mini-motor mounted on a bicycle. Howerver several of these kits were made for personnel travelling abroad. This one was used by Basil Monk, managing director of Trojan, on a trip to North America in 1949. It is made up of a power pack, a model mini-motor, 3 spare parts leaflets, 1 instruction book for a Mark II mini-motor and 2 advertising leaflets, all in a carrying case.
Object Name
 
bicycle accessories
Date
 
1949
Measurements
 
whole: 190 x 340 x 320 mm
Maker
 
TROJAN LIMITED
Theme
 
Work & Play | Retail, Trade & Shopping
Location
 
Museum of Croydon | Area 4 | Kiosk 4
Type
 
MUSEUM OBJECTS
Level
 
Item
Repository
 
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service