This clock was used at the Greyhound Hotel, Croydon High Street, probably from about 1880. The clock face, made by Croydon firm Gillett and Johnston and the bottom part of the case, made by Oetzmann and Co of London, are later replacements. The Greyhound was a 15th century inn and the meeting place of the parish vestry, an early form of local government. It remained an important coaching house well into the 19th century, when it was advertised as a ""first class family and county hotel"". St George's Walk now stands roughly on the site of the inn's yard. The Greyhound moved to Park Lane in 1962 to premesis now occupied by the Cafe Moonshine.
Mahogany clock case with a glass window on the front and 3 copper alloy panels on the side.
GILLETT AND JOHNSTON; OETZMANN AND CO
Museum of Croydon | Area 2 | Kiosk 1