Trojan Bubble Car
1961 - 1965
Trojan 200 bubble car with registration number 62 RTO. Bubble cars were made by the Lambretta-Trojan company, on Purley Way Croydon, between 1961 and 1965. The bubble car was designed by the Ernst Heinkel Company in Germany in the mid 1950s, when the Suez crisis restricted the supply of petrol. In 1958 the design and manufacturing rights were sold to Dundalk Engineering in Ireland. Three years later the Lambretta-Trojan organisation bought the rights and renamed the car the Trojan 200. They were economical cars. In 1961 they cost 369 15s 6d and were capable of 135 miles per gallon at a constant 30 mph. In addition, three wheelers needed less road tax than four wheeled vehicles and could be driven with a motorcycle licence. About 6,000 Trojan 200s were made in Croydon before production ceased.
whole: 1330 x 1500 x 2260 mm
Museum of Croydon | Area 5 | Kiosk 1
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service