[ARRAY:1]
Title
 
Piece of the Berlin Wall
Description
 
A piece of the Berlin Wall presented to Jim Walker, Mayor of Croydon, by East Berlin schoolchildren visiting Croydon in 1991. After the Second World War, the victorious allies - Britain, France, USA and the USSR - divided Germany into four zones of occupation. Berlin, the German capital, was also divided between them. In 1949, the capitalist western powers approved the formation of West Germany, and the communist soviets the formation of East Germany. Berlin was situated in East Germany, but most parts of the city occupied by the western allies became an isolated part of West Germany. The East German government built the wall in 1961 to stop a flood of East Germans escaping across the border into more prosperous West Berlin. It was broken down by Berliners in October 1989, after Mikhail Gorbachev, President of the Soviet Union, began the process of Glasnost "openness" in communist Eastern Europe.
Object Name
 
brick
Date
 
1991
Material
 
brick
Measurements
 
whole: 85 x 80 x 50 mm
Associated Object Number
 
M/2004/245
Theme
 
National & International | World Events
Location
 
Museum of Croydon | Area 6 | Kiosk 3
Type
 
Museum Objects
Repository
 
Croydon Museum and Heritage Service